The Scottish Sea Angling Conservation Network

            A charity registered in Scotland - RegNo:: SC039015

Archive for June, 2008


30
Jun

Bertie gets angry

CONSERVATIONISTS came under heavy fire today from Scottish Fishermen’s Federation Chief Executive Bertie Armstrong who said he is very disappointed that a single element of the annual fisheries science - cod stocks - has been selected and turned into a prediction of hell and damnation for all species.
He claims this misleads the public and masks [...]


27
Jun

Global threats to sharks

In the last fifty years humanity has proven beyond a doubt that the oceans are not infinite. What seemed to be an inexhaustible supply as recently as twenty years ago has, in many areas, been taken to its limits and beyond.

Leading marine biologists recently warned that we had been wrong to suppose that
we could not [...]


26
Jun

Shark species threatened

Brest, France: The Shark Alliance welcomes today’s decision by the OSPAR Commission for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the Northeast Atlantic to add six species of sharks to their list of Threatened and Declining Species and Habitats.  OSPAR (the Oslo-Paris Convention) provides a mechanism for international cooperation to protect the Northeast Atlantic marine [...]


26
Jun

MEP supports Angling Recreation Centre idea

Struan Stevenson (MEP) has called for the creation of specially designated zones for commercial fishing as well as the creation of marine protected areas (MPAs) where little or no fishing would be allowed.
He also went on to propose that fishing parks for recreational anglers should be considered as a possibility, something we at SSACN have [...]


25
Jun

Parliamentary Questions

The following written Parliamentary Questions have been asked by Peter Peacock (Highlands & Islands) (Lab) :
To ask the Scottish Executive :

What steps it is taking to ensure Scotland achieves the best economic value from the common shared resource of species of fish of no commercial value to the catching sector
What specific measures it is taking [...]


20
Jun

I.O.M. charter angling strategy

THE I.O.M. Fisheries Department is developing a charter angling strategy to encourage local vessel owners to consider charter angling trips as a realistic business opportunity.
Their Minister for Agriculture believes their marine environment presents great opportunities for recreational sea angling, potentially making it a prime sea angling centre in the British Isles.
The Department will provide support [...]


20
Jun

US cut shark quotas

The Shark Alliance is heralding new rules for shark fishing in the USA and drawing parallels to needed improvements in European Union (EU) shark fishing regulations.
Changes to the US Atlantic shark plan, announced by the government today, will vastly improve the region’s ban on shark finning (cutting off a shark’s fins and discarding the body [...]


20
Jun

Trawling to save Lyme Bay & Clyde

Mirroring several Scottish commercials views of the Arran NTZ, the South West Inshore Fishermen’s Association have reacted angrily as about 10% of Lyme Bay will be permanently closed to scallop dredgers and bottom trawlers to safeguard the area’s rich marine life and habitats.
Well if 10% is massive what is the other 90% - greed knows [...]


18
Jun

Quota consultation meetings

As previously reported in May, new proposals for fish quota management and licensing arrangements in Scotland have been published for consultation. The Scottish Government say they are designed to safeguard Scotland’s fishing communities’ birthright for future fishermen by putting them at the heart of management.
As usual, the interest of sea anglers, their communities and the [...]

The Scottish Sea Angling Conservation Network is is proudly powered by Wordpress
Navigation2 Theme by GPS Gazette

FireStats icon Powered by FireStats