The Scottish Sea Angling Conservation Network

            A charity registered in Scotland - RegNo:: SC039015

Archive for the 'UK Government News' Category


22
Oct

SNP to represent the UK ?

In a novel twist, SNP president Ian Hudghton MEP has suggested his party represent the UK.
He has renewed his call for Scotland’s fisheries minister to be designated lead minister for the UK at all European Union negotiations saying “It is incredible that, with the crucial rounds of EU annual quota talks getting underway, the UK [...]


08
Oct

New UK Fisheries Minister

Defra have announced that Huw Irranca-Davies MP has replaced Jonathan Shaw as UK fisheries minister.
Commenting on this, SFF chief executive, Bertie Armstrong, said: “While ministerial reshuffles are nothing new, the timing here is extremely unhelpful and could not have come at a more inopportune time, given that vital and complex negotiations to set quotas and [...]


30
Aug

Clyde area petition

The Prime Minister is being petitioned to limit commercial fishing on the Clyde and its sea lochs. The originator of the petition asks that the government -
Create no go areas for trawlers in Scotland’s salt water lochs,and the river Clyde.In addition to this create at least one marine conservation area or park for sea life [...]


13
Aug

Defra RSA Strategy response summary

Defra undertook a public consultation of their draft Recreational Sea Angling  (RSA) Strategy between 6 December 2007 and 31 March 2008.
The results may be found in this pdf document.
Four key  issues emerged  from  the  responses and Defra’s analysis, they were whether respondents were in favour or opposed to :

A sea angling licence being imposed on [...]


06
Aug

Welsh fishing strategy

WALES’ first Fisheries Strategy was made public in Aberystwyth Marina last week. It has been heralded as a “step towards securing the future of the fishing industry” by Rural Affairs Minister Elin Jones.
The Strategy looks at the future of fishing until 2020 across all sectors of aquaculture, commercial fisheries and recreational fisheries.
The strategy is supported [...]


20
Jun

I.O.M. charter angling strategy

THE I.O.M. Fisheries Department is developing a charter angling strategy to encourage local vessel owners to consider charter angling trips as a realistic business opportunity.
Their Minister for Agriculture believes their marine environment presents great opportunities for recreational sea angling, potentially making it a prime sea angling centre in the British Isles.
The Department will provide support [...]


20
Jun

Trawling to save Lyme Bay & Clyde

Mirroring several Scottish commercials views of the Arran NTZ, the South West Inshore Fishermen’s Association have reacted angrily as about 10% of Lyme Bay will be permanently closed to scallop dredgers and bottom trawlers to safeguard the area’s rich marine life and habitats.
Well if 10% is massive what is the other 90% - greed knows [...]


04
Jun

Survival and level playing fields

THE UK Government today failed to show commitment to the survival of the UK fishing industry according to Barrie Deas, the chief executive of the NFFO as Mr Shaw said no to de minimus aid for the UK fishing fleet to help offset fuel costs.
Bertie Armstrong also criticised Mr Shaw who claimed the UK didn’t [...]


03
Jun

More prawns, skate and rays for under 10s

The MFA and other UK fisheries administrations have increased the catch limit for North Sea nephrops for under 10m vessels to 15 tonnes per vessel per quarter (up from 10 tonnes)
This increase will help make sure that UK fishermen in the North Sea can take full advantage of the summer nephrops fishery according to Minister [...]

The Scottish Sea Angling Conservation Network is is proudly powered by Wordpress
Navigation2 Theme by GPS Gazette

FireStats icon Powered by FireStats