Shark cull blocked my Australian regulator

| September 12, 2014
Image from BBC and AP Media

Image from BBC and AP Media

The controversial shark cull that was implemented earlier this year in Western Australia is to be halted after the state’s environmental regulator suggested there were “a high degree of scientific uncertainty”.

The cull, which was introduced in April for a 13 week trial, saw baited traps, known as drum lines, placed across seven beaches in the wake of what was called a “spate” of shark attacks in preceding years. In fact, it was in response to seven shark attacks in Western Australia since2011. Any shark caught or seen near the drum lines that was 3m or larger could be shot by people given a special license and during the trial 172 sharks were destroyed. The government had planned for the cull to continue each summer for at least another three years.

The decision to kill sharks in this way lead to weeks of demonstrations and public outcry across the globe. Scientists in particular suggested there was insufficient evidence the cull would be effective and since no White Sharks where caught during the trial, the species most of the attacks were attributed to, it seems Environmental Protection Agency Chairman Dr Paul Vogel agreed. He said “In view of these uncertainties [from experts consulted by the EPA], the EPA has adopted a cautious approach by recommending against the proposal”.

State Premier Colin Barnett said he was disappointed at the decision but said an appeal was unlikely.

For further details visit the BBC article here.

Category: Conservation

Comments are closed.